The Jefferson Post

March is Caffeine Awareness Month

Anh Phan

March is Caffeine Awareness month! Many of us rely on a cup of coffee to make us feel more awake and to get a kick-start on our day. Approximately 1.6 billion cups of coffee are consumed worldwide every day, according to the International Coffee Organization! It’s not just coffee that contains caffeine. Tea, soft drinks, particularly energy drinks, and chocolate can contain caffeine. Though, how does caffeine affect our health?

The positive effects of caffeine

Caffeine acts like a stimulant by activating the central nervous system. It can improve concentration and focus. Last year, a study suggested that drinking three cups of coffee a day may reduce the risk of liver cancer by 50%. Another study claims that drinking four cups of coffee a day may halve the risk of mouth and throat cancer.

A study from the Harvard School of Public Health suggested that drinking between two and four cups of coffee a day may reduce suicide risk in adults. A more recent research found that ingesting 200 mg of caffeine each day may boost long-term memory. Others have suggested consuming caffeine may also protect against type 2 Diabetes, Parkinson’s disease, cardiovascular disease, and stroke. Caffeine has also been associated with positive effects on the brain.

The negative effects of caffeine

According to the Mayo Clinic, consuming more than 500-600 mg of caffeine per day may lead to insomnia, nervousness, restlessness, a fast heartbeat, and more. Another study suggests that drinking four cups of coffee a day may increase the risk of early death. However, the effects of caffeine can vary from person to person.

If you want to learn more about how caffeine can affect our health, go to: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/271707.php.

The Student News Site of Thomas Jefferson Middle School
March is Caffeine Awareness Month